Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mother's Day Shopping Made Easy

I know Mother's Day is still a couple weeks away, however, the day always tends to sneak up on me and I am left gift less!  Let's plan ahead this year ladies!

I have an easy and relatively inexpensive DIY gift for all mother's who love cooking, gardening, and flowers!  Herb and flower pots!

What you will need:
Flowers, herbs, flower pots, planting soil, and some clothes you don't mind getting a little dirty.

Step One:
The Flowers and Herbs
Go to your local garden store(Or even Lowes or Home Depot have good selections) and choose your favorite fresh herbs and flowers.
The Herbs: I always love basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. All are wonderful for the "cooking" mom since they can be used in so many dishes. Chives and cilantro are also good options.


The Flowers: I would go with petunias, geraniums, marigolds, and a few spikes for the centers of the arrangements. All of these come in numerous colors so choose what make sense for your own mom.


Step Two:
The Flower Pots and Planting Soil
I would just buy a standard clay pot. You can find them at Lowes for $1! Can't beat the price, however they usually have some cuter options at higher price points. Also, make sure you buy flower pots that have a drainage hole for water. If not, you will have to make one yourself with an electric screw driver. Much easier if one already exists!

For the herbs,  I like to use a window box. That way you can plant numerous herbs without worrying about them growing on top of one another.

For the planting soil I like to use Miracle Gro Organic on my herbs since there is a very good chance I will be adding them to my meals! I would just use a standard potting soil for the flowers.

The ideas are endless!

Step Three:
Plant!
This is the fun part! I love preparing my flower pots for the year. I love mixing and matching the different colored flowers and creating a gorgeous arrangement! Once done, don't forget to water.

Planting could also be a great project for you and your mom to do on Mother's Day together if you prefer to wait! On a side note, keep in mind that if you live in a cooler area I would wait to plant these for another couple weeks!



Such a thoughtful, fun, and easy project! Let me know if any of you do this for your moms. Would love to see pictures of the finished flower pots! And if your mom isn't into this, go with one of the spring scarves I featured yesterday!

XO





2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I wish I lived closer to my mom so I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point! I live only a few hours away so can just pop them in my trunk when I go but definetly not ideal for a plane ride:)

      Delete